Nagarbhavi. Strawberry Fields. Legala. Amma's. Aishwarya Bakery. Rohini. Surya Terrace. Wine Ocean. Projects. EMC. LnD. DisCo. SDGM. Jagannath Iyer. Spiritus. Moot Courts. JayGo. Lizzy. Nandi the Mutt. Sudhir. If any of these sound familiar, we might be friends yet.

Tuesday, May 29, 2007

You've Got Mail.

May 30, 2007

Dear Sir,

You might be surprised to receive this letter. Heck, you are surprised to receive this. From me, especially. Belonging to the First Year Batch.

I know you have more or less written us off for good. I totally understand that. Infact, I’d have been surprised if you hadn’t. Given the kind of people we are, and the size of our egos – albeit unjustified- it was only a matter of time before we drove you crazy. Of course, what I was surprised was at the extent to which we drove you over the edge. I didn’t think you’d stumble. Yes, I was shocked when you said you are going to give up teaching. Us. Or anyone. To be only fair, that is exactly why I am writing this to you.

Today, you asked us to have a perspective. I beseech you to heed your own words. You are a good teacher. We are bad students. Let’s face it now. For the most part, we are. And more importantly, you are HOT. Like, very. You musn’t be angry with us. It will break my heart. Well, almost. That’s an important perspective to have. As important as any other.

Please forgive us. We are sorry. Some of us are. Okay, I am and I don’t know about the others but I like you too much to care and I’m hoping there are others like me. I know you have only wanted us to do well and never meant to make us sink like stones. Look at how you’ve corrected the mid terms. Such generosity, such understanding. Sigh. Everything and anything you have done makes me hang my head in shame for all those nights spent in futile gossiping as against useful case readings.

If I could go back in time and change anything, it will all have to do with your class. I will sit in the first bench, smile at you on every ocassion and read every case, every article and everything else you'd assigned us. I mean this. In all sincerity. But, time once gone cannot be altered. I’m sorry. However much I wish to change it, I am powerless to do so. But, you will agree, it’s the thought that counts. And the thought here is genuine and heartfelt.

It pains me to have given you so much trouble. To have been such ungrateful fanged serpents. I tend to use metaphors when I’m genuinely sorry. I’m an idiot like that. But that doesn’t take anything away from the fact that I respect, admire and laud you. I wish you taught and will teach us every course we have. Of course, that would have landed you in NIMHANS, but I mean well.

You have been telling us how you are determined to pass us if we put in effort. That’s noble, you know? Not only are you hot, you’re also cool.

This isn’t a juvenile rant coming from a student who thinks her professor is beyond happening. No, this is not just that. It might sound like it, heck, it sounds a lot like it; but there is a lot more to this.

When Sujith Kumar P Dot used to teach us, and I used to look around class to see my classmates variably involved in sleeping, chatting, gtalking, orkutting and taking that poor poor man’s trip and so on; I never felt guilty. Not a tinge. But, when I look around when you’re discussing the cases and see some of us sleeping and most of us looking at you with psychotically blank faces and I think, What the f is wrong with us?

Where are we, as a class, going? What are we trying to prove? Or disprove? Maybe we have had a spate of bad teaching, and we have gotten used to dismissing teachers and courses with not so much as a glance; but that doesn’t excuse us from the fact that we are being extremely stupid. There. I said it.

We have been and are, for the most part, stupid. We don’t know what is good for us. We have, as a class, decided to disregard your reading lists and not pay attention in class. Believe me, I am not proud of it. It’s pathetic. And, to be honest to you and to ourselves, the past three months are quite beyond redemption. Like I said, we cannot go back and change it. And, even if we could, I doubt there would be many of us who would.

You might be wondering why I am writing this to you seeing as how I have reiterated, more than just once in this mail, that we have done wrong and stand too late to be corrected. There is a point to this. I always do things that have a point, you know.

Well, anyway, the point is – give us a chance. One more time. One last time. Teach us Consti Law II. Please do.

I promise to do better. I can’t speak for the others (some of them don’t even think you’re hot, can you imagine?!) I speak for myself. If you teach us our next course, I promise to devour it. Pursue it with such diligence and such earnestness that I shall make up for all the angst we caused you this trimester. But, if you don’t, I shall write off the Constitution of India forever.

This might sound juvenile and irrational and a host of other ridiculous things, but I couldn’t care less. Give us a chance. Once more. We, ok, no- I made a mistake and I am genuinely sorry. Don’t punish us for it. Don’t. I entreat you to forget what has past and look over to the next three months. I will sit in the first bench and smile. I’ll even read a case or two, maybe. Okay, I'm just kidding. I promise to read the cases. All of them. And, to never refer to you belittlingly in this blog. Ever.

Hope you consider this request favourably.

Thanking You,
Regards,
Yours sincerely,
Scarlett.



P.S: I hope the fact that I typed this out during Consti Law does not make that much of a difference to you.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well said.

Anonymous said...

Very sincere. At least someone realises his value to education.

Igirit said...

Gautam -
Ah. :)

V-
I wish there are more like you and me. In my class.

I hope hope HOPE he changes his mind bout not teaching us.

Anonymous said...

What about those people who made the reading list? I think it's all their fault!

Igirit said...

Reading lists are meant to be read.

It isn't their fault. Though, on second thoughts, it'd be convenient to blame em.

Anonymous said...

he says that every year and always comes back to teach. don't worry.