Nagarbhavi. Strawberry Fields. Legala. Amma's. Aishwarya Bakery. Rohini. Surya Terrace. Wine Ocean. Projects. EMC. LnD. DisCo. SDGM. Jagannath Iyer. Spiritus. Moot Courts. JayGo. Lizzy. Nandi the Mutt. Sudhir. If any of these sound familiar, we might be friends yet.

Sunday, August 19, 2007

Who Let the Dogs Out?

When it becomes a trade-off between me and the dogs, I am sorry to say – much to the chagrin of all the canine lovers in this campus – that I must and will choose myself. So must you.

I don’t have an issue with the dogs, really. I find them quite amusing, in fact. I am used to dogs; have one at home, have had several of them roaming in and around the classes of where I studied previously. Looking back, over there the classes were more or less incomplete without a dog or two wagging its tail next to the teacher’s desk. Of course, I didn’t live on campus; so we can’t draw analogies. Yes, I am also all for the dog is a man’s best friend and all of that. At a purely fundamental level, I have no issues with the concept of dogs - it's the conception that I wish to address.

The dogs become a cause for concern when they aren’t what regular clean healthy dogs are.
Our dogs are not clean. Check.
Our dogs randomly get into dog fights. Check.
Our dogs bite arbitrarily. Check.
Our dogs create huge problems during events like quad parties, EMDs, WMDs, blah. Check.
Our dogs aren’t safe to have around. Check.
And, why exactly are they our dogs, anyway?

I don’t know if this is or is not normal dog behaviour. I couldn’t care less. If we can’t get the dogs to behave, we keep them at bay. If we can’t teach them that students, faculty and other staff are not for them to attack and harm, we keep the dogs away. And since we obviously cannot do in any period of time what nature hasn’t done in eternity – teaching dogs human decorum – maybe we need to kick them out. I want to be able to walk back to hostel without having to worry about whether or not that dog which is giving me a menacing look and growling ominously is going to bite me in the next instant. I am entitled to that much, if nothing else.

If you’re a dog lover and you can think of any other plausible solution to getting these dogs to behave (and maybe take a bath or two), you are more than welcome to implement it. If you love dogs so much, keep them in your room. Take them home with you. I don’t know. Anything.

I like dogs. I know. I understand. They need a place to live too; just like us.

But not in my campus. This is where I live.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

you're so right.

tinuviel said...

yes, you are. :)