Nagarbhavi. Strawberry Fields. Legala. Amma's. Aishwarya Bakery. Rohini. Surya Terrace. Wine Ocean. Projects. EMC. LnD. DisCo. SDGM. Jagannath Iyer. Spiritus. Moot Courts. JayGo. Lizzy. Nandi the Mutt. Sudhir. If any of these sound familiar, we might be friends yet.

Monday, August 20, 2007

Mortar-bored

Another convocation has come and gone. And, I’m still here.

All the glitz, the glamour, the joy in the faces of 80 individuals adorned in their beautiful gowns and throwing the caps in the air.

I’ve always wondered what throwing them up was supposed to signify. That is to say, what’s the symbolism? And then when I watched them throw it up in the air, carefree – not worrying about whether it will come back to them or not – to just throw something into the air like that without object, to throw everything behind you and to throw to new beginnings, I figured it was just that- letting go.

It was a happy occasion and it will always remind me of when faces light up, when smiles are for everyone, when everything you have lived for the past five years becomes just that – the past, when hands are shaken, when tears are shed, when medals are won (and dropped), when cheers are given, when degrees are acquired and when the future becomes the present.

On my convocation, one cap will be thrown higher up than anybody else’s. Mine.

I will be the happiest person in the auditorium that day. :)

12 comments:

aandthirtyeights said...

Lovely lovely post.

Igirit said...

Thank you. :)

And, congratulations.

What plans now?

Anonymous said...

On mine, I will be the happiest. :-)

Anonymous said...

On mine, I will be the happiest. :-)

Igirit said...

I'm sure you will, SH.

tinuviel said...

why thank you :) you too, needless to say.

so you are who I think you are, I presume?

btw how did you find my blog? did i comment when signed in?

Anonymous said...

if only you weren't so pompous. it's silly and misplaced, and fewer people than should, seem to get that.

Anonymous said...

Well said, anon.

Igirit said...

Anonymice -
I have never agreed more with anybody. :) More people should think like you.

Igirit said...

Tinuviel-
I may be. Or may not. We are all better off without presumptions.

Don't remember how I found your blog.

Anonymous said...

why are you not posting?

Igirit said...

Oh. Cus they aren't paying me.